Great Swimming Feats
1. Fourteen miles down the river with the rapid ebb tide, from the
middle buoys opposite the Tay ferries to far buoy at the mouth of the
river Tay, in 5-1/2 hours (1859.)
2. Across the Frith of Clyde from Carrought, Ayrshire, to Ailsa Rock; 8
miles in 3 hours, through strong currents.
3. Across the Frith of Forth, from Buckhaven, in Fifeshire, to North
Berwick; 18 miles in 7 hours (1862.)
4. Across the Bay of Leece, from the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse to
Barrowhead; 10 miles in 4 hours.
5. Across the mouth of Loch Ryan, from Ronmach, in Ayrshire, to Kirkcolm
Point in Gallowayshire; 4 miles in 2 hours.
6. From John O'Groat's House to Stoma; 8 miles in 2-1/2 hours, through
dangerous currents (1873.)
7. Across the strong-currented river to Cardell Point, on the east of
Cantyre, from Penrioch, on the coast of Arran; 11 miles in 3-1/2 hours
8. Across the Frith of Clyde from West Kilbride, in Ayrshire, to Grombe,
on the east coast of Arran, a distance of 12-1/2 miles in 4-1/2 hours
9. Across the Frith of the Clyde from Port Glasgow to Cardross; 9 miles
in 2-1/2 hours (1874.)
In all these instances he was followed by persons in boats.
We are informed that he has received presents for rescuing lives of the
value of L300, besides twenty suits of clothes, and has also won many
cups and other prizes in swimming and diving matches, and has also
received several gold and silver medals.
Alexander Ferguson has on several occasions been present at the services
for the adult deaf and dumb held at the Institution at Derby.
Next: A Deaf Mute's Gratitude
Previous: Alexander Ferguson The Famous Deaf And Dumb Swimmer